Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the deadline for registering my child to play soccer with Terrace-Brier?

Returning Players, Coaches and New teams MUST register Online by June 15th. Following this date players will be randomly placed on teams until the rosters are full.

Q: How old does my child have to be to play soccer?
A: Generally, your child must be 5 by July 31 before the season starts. There are exceptions and those questions should be directed to our Micro Soccer Director.

Q: Where can I get a registration form?
A: Registration is done completly online starting May 1st via our Registration page. If you do not have a computer, you can use a local Library or email the TBSC Registrar for an alternative method.

Q: What is the time commitment involved?
A: Most teams practice twice a week in the afternoon or early evening. Exact times and dates are decided by the coach. Practice times for younger kids are about an hour each and older kids from one and a half to two hours. Games are always on weekends. They will be expected to practice some at home, but how much, again, will be up to the individual coach.

Q: Where do the teams practice and play?
A: 5 and 6 yr olds generally play at either Brier Park or Forest Crest Playfield on Saturday or Sunday. 7 thru 9 yr olds start to travel for away games. Normally, not farther than Everett, but can be as far as Arlington once a season. 10 yr olds and up will play half their games away; all within Snohomish County. Expect to play Saturday and/or Sunday Games. With very few exceptions, Sunday games will generally start after 12:00 pm.

Q: What is MICRO and MOD Soccer?
A: Micro Soccer U6 - U7 and Mod Soccer U8 - U11 are a modified version of the full game of soccer. They play small-sided games to focus on individual player development. Contact the Director of Player and Coach Development for details on this type of play.

Q: Also on the form is CLUB and NPSL, and their ages are the same but associated costs are different, what's up with that?
A: If your 10 yr old (and up) player is joining our club for the first time (whether s/he's played before or not), they would be a CLUB player. NPSL play is for recreational teams that desire a higher level of competition. If a new player desires to play on a NPSL team, and one is available in their age group, the fee adjustment can be worked out later. Just send the CLUB fee for now.

Q: Why must I sign a medical release form?
A: If your child is injured on the game or practice field while their parent or guardian is not around, unless the injuries are life threatening, a hospital will not treat your child unless the coach presents a Medical Release form with a signature of the parent or guardian.

Q: My child falls into an age group where they are a year YOUNGER than their classmates and would rather play with friends. What do I do?
A: This is called "Playing up" and although it is discouraged, it is allowed for the U12 age and above. If you are confident that your child is of the strength and social level of the team you want them on, yes, they can join that team. Do re-evaluate their social and strength level each year before registering them and if there are any doubts, arrange to have them moved to an age appropriate team.

Q: My child falls into an age group where they are a year OLDER than their classmates and would rather play with friends. What do I do?
A: In this case, there's really nothing that can be done. Without a serious physical disability, players cannot play on a team that is younger than they are without forcing the entire team to play in the older child's age group.

Q: Outside of the registration fee, what other costs are there?
A: You will need to provide soccer shoes and shin guards for your player. Other things that are recommended are soccer socks (some teams require socks), equipment bag, and a ball. Specific teams may ask that you purchase a special uniform, warm-ups, or other equipment, but that is more common with the older teams.

Q: Why is a proof of age document so important?
A: Our club is state sanctioned. In order to remain sanctioned, the state regulations require that we have legal proof of age for every player. Hospital Certificates are not legal proof of age and are not acceptable (even if they say "birth certificate" on them). Driver's licenses, passports, and visas are now acceptable with certain restrictions. In the case of foster children where the parents are not given access to the child's birth certificate, they can provide a signed and notarized statement from the child's caseworker attesting to their legal age. Passports and visas must have a recognizable picture (within a couple of years of current age) to be accepted.

Q: My child's birth certificate is not in English. Can it still be used?
A: Absolutely. However, it will be necessary to have the document translated by a third party translator (no family members) before the child will be considered officially registered with the club.

Q: What if I sign my child up for soccer and after a couple of practices, find out they don't like it or that I can't commit to the game or practice schedule? Can I get my money back?
A: Terrace-Brier Soccer Club is a part of several larger organizations, and we must financially answer to them with the monies that are received from player registrations. However, it has been the policy of the Terrace-Brier that if the player has not played any scheduled games yet, a refund is available minus a small registration fee. Once that first game weekend has passed, the money has already been obligated to other sources, and we cannot return it. See our Refund Policy for more information.

Q: Do you have a select program?
A: No. Several years ago, South Snohomish County's Select teams chose to form their own club; The Surf Soccer Club. The Surf Soccer Club handles all the select teams in the South Snohomish County Youth Soccer Association.